Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Adrian Bateman wrote:

> > I strongly disagree. We must have interoperability amongst browser
> > user agents. Having some support compression and others not would lead
> > to authoring mistakes and will force us into either having or not
> > having compression based on how big sites first get this wrong.
>
> It's fine to disagree, but you should disagree in the IETF working group
> where this is made optional and not in the Web API. There will be other
> users of WebSockets outside the browser and by implementing the protocol
> they won't be required to implement this extension.

Non-browser clients don't have the same dynamics, so it makes sense for
them to be allowed to not implement compression. Non-browser clients
aren't going to have the market impact of browser clients.