Re: Web IDL Garden Hose

On Sep 27, 2009, at 10:41 AM, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> Brendan Eich wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2009, at 6:08 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>>> This may provide a way to implement some of these behaviors in pure
>>> ECMAScript. The current proposal does allow [[Construct]] without
>>> [[Call]], but not [[Call]] and [[Construct]] that both exist but
>>> with
>>> different behavior.
>>
>> Date needs the latter.
>
> That can already be done in ES5. As I've previously suggested:
>
>  function Date(yearOrValue, month, date, hours, minutes, seconds,
> ms) {
>    "use strict";
>    if (this === undefined) {
>      return TimeToString(CurrentTime());
>    }
>    // constructor behaviour
>  }

Of course, a variation on "the idiom".

This is similar to what many implementations do too, rather than the
implementation providing analogues of [[Call]] and [[Construct]]
internal method on a non-function Date object. It works for Boolean,
Number, String, and RegExp too.

But it is just a bit unsightly!

/be