Re: Web IDL Garden Hose (was: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination)

On Sep 25, 2009, at 9:38 PM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> Another way to put my earlier concern

Sorry, what earlier concern? You are replying to my reply to Doug
Schepers on a sub-thread where I didn't see a message from you.

> is: It's impossible to write a
> conforming JS engine that browsers will want to use by only following
> the ES spec - since there's additional, un-speced, behavior that isn't
> in ES that is necessary in order to construct a browser's DOM.

This is a problem to fix. No one is arguing that it's not a problem.
What's the real topic?

> Consider the following scenario: I write an ECMAScript engine that is
> significantly faster than any existing engine by simply following the
> ECMAScript spec. A browser maker then wishes to use this engine. This
> would be impossible without adding additional (hidden) features to the
> engine to support the DOM. There is nothing in the ECMAScript spec
> that requires the ability (at the very least) to add native extensions
> with arbitrary behavior to the engine.

The ES spec allows extensions, but it cannot require them without the
extensions being no longer extensions in any sense, rather as
specified parts of the normative core language. Again I don't know
what your point here is.

> Is this a requirement ECMA is comfortable with?

What requirement? Your scenario? I have no idea where it came from,
but it doesn't follow from anything you cited (cited again below).

If you mean we need to specify multiple globals, split windows,
execution model, etc. -- that's what I've been saying on the main
thread since the first message, and what Sam's transcription of a
private message from me tried to say.

Still not sure what your point is,

/be