From: public-webapps-request@w3.org [mailto:public-webapps-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Marcin Hanclik
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:22 PM
To: Arthur Barstow; public-webapps
Subject: RE: [widgets] Draft Agenda for 24 September 2009 Voice Conf

Hi Art, All,

I would like to suggest to add to the agenda the point that appeared during the widgets testing event.
It is related to the Widget Interface, View Modes and patterns.
The comments below will be valid also as LC comments to the Widget Interface.

The Widget Interface includes width and height attributes. On the other hand the View Modes Interfaces defines the ResolutionChangedEvent event.
So we may have at least the following scenarios:
Scenario 1:

a) the dimensions of the viewport change.

b) the ResolutionChangedEvent is fired.

c) the widget gets the new dimensions from the event

Scenario 2:

a) the dimensions of the viewport change.

b) the ResolutionChangedEvent is fired.

c) the widget gets the new dimensions from the Widget interface (the widget object)

Incorporating the onresize handler on the <body> element, we could have another scenarion:
Scenario 2:

a) the dimensions of the viewport change.

b) the onresize handler is triggered.

c) the widget gets the new dimensions from the Widget interface (the widget object)

So we have 3 scenarios for 1 thing (notification about changed size and retrieval of the new dimensions).
If we want to keep ResolutionChangedEvent, we have two methods of getting the new width/height:

i) from the ResolutionChangedEvent

ii) from the Widget interface

Therefore I suggest picking up one of the following:

1. Drop the ResolutionChangedEvent, mandate onresize handler, keep width/height in the Widget interface.

2. Drop width/height from the ResolutionChangedEvent, ignore onresize handler, keep width/height in the Widget interface.

3. Keep the ResolutionChangedEvent, ignore onresize handler, drop width/height in the Widget interface.

Thanks,
Marcin

Marcin Hanclik
ACCESS Systems Germany GmbH
Tel: +49-208-8290-6452  |  Fax: +49-208-8290-6465
Mobile: +49-163-8290-646