Re: [widgets] Widgets URI scheme... it's baaaack!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Robin Berjon<robin@berjon.com> wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2009, at 17:18 , Mark Baker wrote:
>>>
>>> function getSection () {
>>>  return location.href.replace(/^http:\/\/magic.local\/([^\/]+).*/,
>>> "$1").toLowerCase();
>>> }
>>>
>>> I won't say that it's necessarily the best-written code, but it's not
>>> daft
>>> enough to be shrugged off and it's not particularly contrived. It's easy
>>> come up with a bunch of similar cases. If you get one implementation with
>>> more market-share than the others, then they'll have to copy its
>>> behaviour,
>>> and we'll then have to specify it.
>>
>> The regex could just as easily have been written to exclude the
>> authority component of the URI.  Do you have a better example?
>
> It could have, but it wasn't — interoperability isn't what happens when
> people write to a W3C working group to get their code debugged, it's what
> happens when real people write code on their own.

Sure, some people will write really bad code.  I just don't think we
have to accommodate all of them.

> Let us assume that we don't at all say what is returned by the many
> attributes that normally expose URIs. What regex would you "just as easily
> have written" to match an unspecified value? Here are some samples from
> several implementations given an image linked to as /img/dahüt.svg:
>
>  A: http://magic.local/img/dahüt.svg
>  B: file://mushroom.local/img/dahüt.svg
>  C: file:///img/dahüt.svg
>  D: file:///C|/img/dahüt.svg
>  E: \\myphone\img\dahüt.svg
>  F: C:\MY DOCUMENTS AND SETTING\MY USERS\MY MARKB\MY DOCUMENTS\MY WIDGETS\MY
> ARSE\DAH~1.VML
>  G: http:///img/dah%FCt.svg
>  H: cool-product:/img/dah%u0055%u0308t.svg
>  I: inode:DEADBABEC0EDBEEF
>  J: many more things...

Some of those aren't URIs, and some aren't hierarchical.  Of the
others, "[:/]//?*/(.*$)" should cover it.

But if it would simplify things, I wouldn't be averse to a getBaseURI() call.

> Another situation is a security manager that applies different policies
> based on scheme, authority, etc. URIs are useful — they can identify and
> locate stuff.
>
> Let's imagine we say nothing and you're an implementer: what would you do?
> Everyone in this discussion understands that introducing new schemes should
> be done with caution — what I don't understand is what architectural value
> you are seeing in not using URIs to identify resources, encouraging
> non-interoperable solutions, or sweeping the issue under the rug by
> delegating to a special name instead of a scheme.

I'm not doing any of those things AFAICT.  I encourage resources to be
identified by URIs.  I just don't see a need to tell implementations
what their URIs should look like, other than to say they should be
hierarchical for obvious reasons.

> We have a semantics that match no existing scheme. We have a locator
> behaviour that matches no existing scheme.

The identifiers produced by implementations you list above suggests
that at least some implementors feel that they can reuse existing
schemes, no?

Mark.