RE: [Widget URI] Internationalization, widget IRI?

Hi Marcos,

As a summary of the URI/IRI-related issues, we have currently the following as far as I can tell:
1. URI/IRI normalization in P&C [1], it is currently at I18N [2]
2. Widget URI issues related to internationalization [3]

The URI/IRI normalization in P&C is mainly for attribute values that are to be IRIs. At present these are:
a) @id in <widget>
b) @href in <author>
c) @href in <license>
d) @name in <feature>

Your use cases seem to be related to the above, since you quote non-ASCII character in the @src of <content>.
They are exactly the same with regard to the above issues 1. and 2.
They differ on the CP437/UTF8 level.

The widgets URI is on the character level and my point was about naming it URI (octet-level, whereas IRI operates clearly on character level).

My comments to the details:

P&C addresses the transcoding from CP437 to UTF8 [4] ( however, only as SHOULD, so maybe it should be also SHALL? This was not raised yet and it is probably late now):
" For the sake of comparison and matching, it is recommended that a user agent treat all Zip-relative paths as [UTF-8]."

The "problematic" character in your case is 'ñ', U+00F1.
In CP437 it is has the value 0xA4, in ISO-8859-1 it is 0xF1.
In UTF8 this character is encoded as the sequence of the following octets: 0xC3 0xB1.

The assumption of P&C seems to be that everything gets converted to UTF8.
The only issue is that this is an assumption.
My case of IRI and your cases with file name are similar with regard to this assumption.

Specifically in case of IRI we have the issue of pct encoding, in your cases we have "just" character-set transcoding.

I hope it is clearer now.

Thanks,
Marcin

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/0644.html

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2009JulSep/0065.html

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2009JulSep/0339.html

[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#zip-relative-paths

[5] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#the-content-element

Marcin Hanclik
ACCESS Systems Germany GmbH
Tel: +49-208-8290-6452  |  Fax: +49-208-8290-6465
Mobile: +49-163-8290-646