Re: [widgets] Seeking comments on Last Call WD of Widgets: APIs and Events spec; deadline 15 Sept 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Scott
Wilson<scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The question is important as it affects conformance. Currently we only
> support the first of the three methods you've stated, and there was
> discussion on the list previously as to whether the second of the three was
> even possible in a pure JavaScript implementation (search for "syntactic
> sugar").
>
> What is the actual conformance requirement?

The way the Storage interface is to be implemented is defined by
WebIDL and in ECMAScript (SomeECMAScript-Object implements Storage).
The conformance requirement is to implement the Storage interface as
defined in Web Storage (through the rules/behaviors of WebIDL and
ECMAScript, when it is JavaScript; a Java Implementation would behave
differently, I imagine), but with the additional constraints that some
key/values are protected as defined by A&E.

Again, preference is just an Object, as defined by ECMAScript. All
javascript object's attributes can be accessed by "[]" or using
".whatever".

If the Storage interface itself is screwy, then this needs to be taken
up with the editor of the Web Storage spec, as it is not something we
have control over. To me, personally, the behavior seems fine and has
been implemented that way in at least two browsers (Safari and
Firefox).

...seems a recent change to Web Storage may be even more serious.
Someone just told me that the Web Storage spec has changed to allow
storage of things other than strings. Need to confirm that.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au