Re: [File API] events vs callbacks

On Aug 12, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:57:51 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> wrote:
>> xhr.open("GET", myFile.slice(x, y).fileDataURI);
>> xhr.send();
>
> FWIW I'm opposed to abusing XMLHttpRequest in this way and I
> actually think that when using the filedata URL scheme some kind of
> exception needs to be thrown. Similarly to when you would use mailto
> or something.

Step 7 in the algorithm for open() [1] says to reject URLs in
unsupported schemes. Is there a way to find out supported schemes? The
spec says nothing normative about schemes other than HTTP (what about
HTTPS). Therefore, is it fair to assume that filedata uris are not
supported in XHR and that any browser doing otherwise is doing a favor?

Nikunj
http://o-micron.blogspot.com

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/#xmlhttprequest