Re: [File API] events vs callbacks

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Olli Pettay<Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> On 8/11/09 11:57 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>>
>>> My concern isn't that there are ways of using it correctly, my concern
>>> is that it's very easy to use incorrectly with bugs as a result.
>>
>> How? Especially if we prevent more than one read at time. How is the
>> situation any worse than with XHR?
>
> That just changes things so that instead of getting unexpected events,
> you'll get an unexpected exception when calling .readX. That doesn't
> seem to improve things.

Sorry, didn't respond to the XHR part.

XHR is a different type of object than File. XHR represents a request
for a resource, so there is no reason to pass that around to anyone.
If others want to read from that resource you can just pass them the
uri-string.

The File object represents the actual resource. If others want to read
from it I think we can expect people to pass a reference to the same
File object around.

Again, I do realize that we can just ask people to splice and pass
around the splice, or pass around the actual File, but ask them to
call splice before they read. But I think it's very likely that people
will forget to do that. I think it's poor interface design to make the
easy thing to do unsafe.

/ Jonas