Re: Copy/Paste Events

A similar issue has been brought to the WHATWG list:
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-July/021445.html

<http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-July/021445.html>The
spec doesn't define how the UA should select an element to do your drop
without a mouse - because drop targets may not be focusable.

So, a copy/paste would not automatically be enabled for all drag/drop
operations anyway. By having a separate copy/paste API, an app developer
would be required to provide a functional keyboard alternative.

Also, a clipboard operation can last longer than a drag/drop. It can last
long after the application has been closed. At which case, any stateful data
in the operation may not be viable anymore. I.e. the data may not be viable
after "dragend".

Note that there are several ways to do drag/drop or copy/paste:

1) You copy the data to the clipboard, and let it sit there for the
remainder of the clipboard's life time and try to trigger a paste on any
focusable targets.

2) You can make it a single operation. You can issue a dragstart and
highlight the object being dragged. Then the UA allows selection (only) on
drop targets. If canceled, dragend is triggered with dropEffect none, just
like in a drag operation. If successful a drop is issued on a target. Either
way the data is only alive for the duration of the operation. It's not
persistently stored in a local clipboard. This is comparable to how
Microsoft Excel does copy/paste.

The first one is comparable to copy/paste while the second one is comparable
to drag/drop. If an application doesn't support stateless moving of data, it
shouldn't support copy/paste.