Re: DataCache API - editor's draft available

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:

> Don't we have AppCache implementations in Firefox and Safari? Are there
> parts of the spec that we don't yet have implementation experience or
> enough feedback about?
>
> I happen to think that work on DataCache should not wait for the "long
> term" to arrive. May be it is just me, but I don't see harm in getting
> to an FPWD on DataCache before HTML5 Last Call.

Moving fast is the main way to introduce bugs into the platform. The Web
platform has enough bugs already, we don't need to make it worse. I would
be much happier waiting a year even, getting multiple implementations
shipped, have lots of sites using them, have the features really well
understood by authors and implementors... We need to let enough time pass
to make sure there are no latent fundamental design problems, security
bugs, performance issues, etc.

There's no rush, and there's plenty of other stuff being implemented as
well. What we have today is two barely tested implementations with
virtually no usage and comparatively little deployment. Let's not get
ahead of ourselves.

Having said that, it's certainly fine to work on proposals, to bang on
ideas for future versions, and so on. I just don't think it's appropriate
to work on formalising those ideas yet. Of course, I'm just one person, if
the working group wants to go faster, I can't stop y'all. :-)