Re: [widgets] What does it mean to have an unavailable API

Hi Henri,
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Henri Sivonen<hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

>> Ok. I see what you mean. Widget.hasFeature has slightly different
>> semantics (in widgets, it means "did that feature I requested load and
>> become available?"
>
> Which brings up the issue that it's unclear what it means for an API to have
> latent support but not having been activated with <feature>.
>
> If a widget UA has an implementation for window.frob() and frob() requires
> <feature> activation, what should happen when frob() hasn't been activated
> with <feature>? Should there be no function object for frob()? Or should it
> be there but throw upon calling? Or something else.
>
> Please specify this.

In the spec we now say:
"How a user agent makes use of features depends on the user agent's
security policy, hence activation and authorization requirements for
features are beyond the scope of this specification."

In other words, we don't go into how binding happens and leave up to
the implementation. It's outside the scope of packaging. DAP will
probably deal with this.

For the sake of the disposition of comments, is that ok?

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au