Re: [BONDI Architecture & Security] [widgets] new digsig draft, further comments

Marcin

[removed cross-posting, since my posting would fail anyway]

comments inline

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia

On Mar 27, 2009, at 5:27 AM, ext Marcin Hanclik wrote:

> Hi Marcos,
>
> These are my further comments to the DigSig spec:
>
> 1. There is no section about typographic conventions, as e.g.
> section 1.3 in P&C spec. Therefore it is not possible to know e.g.
> which part of the spec is defining an example.

Having a notational conventions section is a good idea.

> 2. Section 4. My below comment "5. Section 4, item 3:" is invalid,
> since ASCII sorting will not guarantee that signature2.xml will
> appear before signature11.xml when sorted. I am sorry for confusion.

so the spec is ok as written, noting numerical sorting of the numbers.
No change here.

> 2.a. Section 4, item 6: Correspondingly to the above:
> "descending order"
> could become
> "descending numerical order"
> I would also define numerical order by taking an excerpt from
> another part of the spec:
> "Numerical order is the order based on the numeric portion of the
> signature file name."

good idea, agree

> 2.b. Section 4, item 6:
> "The ordering by file name can be used to allow consistent
> processing and possible optimization."
> The term "ordering by file name" may be misinterpreted in the
> context of the numerical order, so I think that the whole statement
> could be removed.

How about

"Ordering of widget signature files by the numeric portion of the file
name can be used to allow consistent processing and possible
optimization."

I think we should keep a sentence since Mark Priestly had earlier
asked that we add it.

> 3. Section 4 + Section 5.3.1: Section 4 implies that "sorting" is an
> operation that takes place after the signature files are found
> within the widget package. So I would change the text in Section
> 5.3.1. to distinguish between "sorting" (an operation) and file
> order in the widget package:
> "These signatures MUST be sorted numerically based on the numeric
> portion of the name."
> could become
> "Within a widget package these signature files MUST be ordered based
> on the numeric portion of the signature file name."
> The general question is whether the signature files MUST be ordered
> in the widget package, since the processing algorithm assumes that
> the signature files are sorted anyway after being extracted from the
> widget package.

My understanding is that the files may not appear in order in the
package, but must processed in order, so the sorting may occur at
processing time. I suggest we leave this text alone for that reason.
This does not mean that an optimization is not possible if they are
known to be in order in the widget package.

Marcin

can we agree to the change Thomas proposed, as a starting point?

> The author signature asserts that the signing party is an author of
> the widget, and binds the author's identity to the widget package.

or should we defer this one?

Thanks for the careful read.