Re: [widgets] restrictions on XML base

On 20 Mar 2009, at 10:46, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> To compliment the new i18n model, I've added the following
> restrictions on XML base:
> [[
> xml:base attribute
> The xml:base attribute may be used in a configuration document to
> specify a base URI other than the base URI of the document. For the
> purpose of this specification, the value of xml:base attribute is
> restricted to an absolute path to a folder that must exist inside the
> widget package.

That would be a relative URI reference.  The XML Base specification
defines xml:base as a LEIRI-valued attribute.  So, the relative URI
reference would be evaluated with respect to whatever base URI the
configuration document has anyway.

> If the said folder does not exist inside the widget
> package, then the user agent must ignore this attribute, meaning that
> the user agent must continue to either use the configuration
> document's location within the package as the value of xml:base; or
> continue to use the value of any correctly declared xml:base attribute
> in the ancestor chain. When the xml:base attribute is absent, the base
> URI will be the folder in which the configuration document resides.
> The value of xml:base attribute must be declared as a URL encoded zip
> relative path (the term URL encoded is defined in the [URI]
> specification).
> ]]

-1

You're redefining the meaning of xml:base completely; the likely
effect is that XML processors will get all confused.  With these
restrictions, I'd suggest to use a separate widget:base attribute --
or just a configuration element that says where things will sit.

> The use case here is that an author might want to override
> element-based localization so URIs are dereferenced to a folder of
> their choice. This might be the case if the author has the following
> folder/file structure:

I think the use case is reasonable, but the use of xml:base to solve
it isn't.