Re: [Widgets] APIs and Events preference change

2009/3/9 Arve Bersvendsen <arveb@opera.com>:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 12:20:25 +0100, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>
>> Arve,
>>
>> On Mar 5, 2009, at 9:14 AM, ext Arve Bersvendsen wrote:
>>
>>> After the last F2F in Paris, I spoke to Ian Hickson about the Storage APIs in HTML5, and my understanding is now that his intent is to split this part of the spec into a separate document. This makes it much easier for us to reference an external spec, given that the scope of such a specification is much smaller.
>>
>> One comment I received is:
>>
>> [[
>> At the moment, there is no way to separate the localStorage for pages that are stored in the same domain and file system is considered one domain.
>>
>> The result is that widgets could see each other's preferences.
>> ]]
>>
>> What are your thoughts on how to change the definition of localStorage?
>
> Note that there is a difference between localStorage and Storage.  I am assuming that an implementation will place a (different) instance of a Storage interface on the widget.preferences object. This object would not be bound to the same storage instance as window.localStorage, and instead have its origin set to that of the widget (whatever URI scheme or origin we end up with once those issues are resolved), translated: The widget interface would not end up using the same storage area.
> This already seems to be permitted by the current spec, still residing in HTML5 [1], where there are two separate Storage instances in window.localStorage and window.sessionStorage

This distinction is useful for widgets, as you could basically set one
preference that only affects a single widget instance
(sessionStorage), while other preferences affect all widgets of a
particular class (localStorage).

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au