Re: DOM3 Events call today/tonight?

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:59:06 +0100, Sean Hogan
> <shogun70@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> It might be worth discussing the load event;
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/events.html#event-load
>>>
>>> Seems that it is "specified" to fire on Document or Element (instead
>>> of window).
>>>
>> I would also suggest a progress event on document or window.
>> Ideally it would be triggered every 100ms during page-load.
>
> I would suggest that the editor of the progress spec get back to
> dealing with the last issues raised by Ian, but he is writing this
> email :)
Sorry, I don't understand. Is the progress spec anticipated to augment
DOM-3-Events for HTMLDocument and Window?

> However the issue of timing is an interesting one. I am not sure how
> handy it is to expect a particular frequency, since it will vary
> pretty wildly depending on networks as well as other stuff. As a data
> point, I am told that while Australian broadband connections manage to
> deliver on average almost 2/3 of their advertised speed, which is a
> relatively good correspondence although advertised speeds for things
> people pay for are often are often pretty low, in terms of connections
> to actual offshore services they are getting something like 1/8. So
> you would get small progress over a long time.

The basis for the 100ms event interval is related to the rendering of
new content on the web-page. If new content has arrived then scripts
should be able to munge it before it is rendered, or at least soon
afterwards. It doesn't matter how much content has arrived.
> When you emit an event it is pretty low cost. But when you deal with a
> javascript that listens for that event and then does something else,
> it is more expensive - and when that starts to eat the battery of your
> mobile phone, maybe 10 times a second is more than people want.
>
> Anyway, I leave the issue of whether to request user agents to make a
> particular timing available to the specs that use progress events,
> although I have reservations about the wisdom of conditioning authors
> to expect things just because broadband in a few countries can deliver
> them easily.

I should raise this as a request for HTML5.