Re: [widgets] Comments on the 22-Dec-2008 LCWD of the Widgets 1.0: P&C spec

Hi Art,
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:

> I propose the following changes to the 22 December 2008 P&C LCWD [1]:
>
> 1. As currently written, the spec implies a Widget User Agent must support
> [Widgets-DigSig]. I think that requirement is too strong and must be
> relaxed. To address this, change the first paragraph in Section 3.0 to:
>
> [[
> A widget user agent is a user agent that implements this specification. A
> widget user agent should implement other specifications in the Widgets 1.0
> family of specifications such as [Widgets-APIs], [Widgets-DigSig], and
> [Widgets-Updates] specifications.
> ]]

Ok, fair enough. However, I think the words "such as" does not make
the assertion sound particularly definitive. I think it MUST that
widget engines support the APIs and a SHOULD that they support updates
and sigs.

New text:
"A widget user agent is a user agent that attempts to implement this
specification. A widget user agent MUST also support the
[Widgets-APIs]. A widget user agent SHOULD support the
[Widgets-DigSig] specification and the [Widgets-Updates]
specification."

As you did, I removed reference to the fictional [Widget Security]
specification :)

> 2. Change the first paragraph of Step 4 in section 8.2 to:
>
> [[
> If a widget user agent does not support [Widgets-DigSig], go to Step 6;
> otherwise, the algorithm to locate digital signatures for the widget is as
> follows:
> ]]

Done.

> 3. Signature handling should be specified in [Widgets-DigSig], thus, replace
> all of Step 5 in section 8.2 with the following:
>
> [[
> The algorithm that describes how to process the list of signatures created
> in step 4 is defined in [Widgets-DigSig].
> ]]
>
> And add the processing model currently defined in Step 5 to
> [Widgets-DigSig].

I need to discuss this change with the editor's of the Widget Dig Sig
spec before doing that. I'll get back to you shortly about that.

Kind regards,
Marcos
--
Marcos Caceres