Re: [selectors-api] SVG WG Review of Selectors API

On Jan 26, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Alex Russell wrote:
>> Can this be represented in a :not() clause somehow? Foisting more
>> work onto script is the wrong answer.
>
> No.

How about "not yet"?

Needing to do this filtering in script is clearly a spec bug. QSA is
already littered with them, but an inability to filter an intrinsic
property of a tag in the query language that's native to the platform
is tactable. We just need to invent a pseudo-property for elements
which can be matched by a ":not([someProperty=<your_ns_here>])".

>  The SVG WG explicitly requested an example illustrating how to
> filter elements based on the namespace URI that works in the general
> case, given that there is no longer a namespace prefix resolution
> mechanism supported in this version of the API.

So they obliquely pointed out a spec bug. Don't get me wrong, I'm no
lover of namespaces. Frankly I think they're a bug. But SVG is stuck
w/ 'em until it can find a way to evolve out of the XML ooze. Until
that time, we must surely be able to do better by folks who want to
try to make the platform feel unified, no?

Regards