Re: [access-control] Rename spec?

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:28:49 +0100, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:
> It's been over a year since we last changed the name of this spec so I
> guess it's about time we renamed it again :-):
>
> [[
> Authorizing Read Access to XML Content Using the <?access-control?>
> Processing Instruction 1.0
>
> Enabling Read Access for Web Resources
>
> Access Control for Cross-site Requests
> ]]

Yeah... :-)

> I do agree the title is important and support either of the proposed new
> titles (preference goes with "Resource"). One question I have here is
> whether "Domain" would be more accurate than "Origin".

Domain does not capture significance of the scheme and port, while Origin
does. I'm updating the draft to use terminology a bit more consistent now
so it should become less confusing. (E.g. I'm removing cross-site in favor
of cross-origin as the latter has a clearly defined meaning and the former
is just used on blogs.)

> The only concern I have is whether a name change would be problematic to
> anyone that may have implemented the latest Draft. OTOH, a WD is always
> at risk of being substantially changed.

The change will only affect the name of the specification. Header names
will most definitely not change and I wasn't planning on changing the
names of definitions either, to be honest.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>