Re: Widget Icon behaviour...

Hi Jochen,
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Jochen Cichon <jc@vfnet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> short question on the icons, inside the config.xml.
> (I know, that part is not yet written)
>
> It is possible to store more than one icon, but which icon is used?
>
> My thought was to have several icons in different sizes, or even an SVG icon
> (which is not a must for the widget UserAgent).
>
> Currently I'm unsure which icon is used, because the widget UA does
> understand gif, png and jpeg (maybe others).
>
> Given the following example (e.g. small is 32x32, large is 64x64, huge is
> 128x128pixel. And svg is ... scaleable ;)
>
> <widget ..>
>  <icon src="icon.svg"/>
>  <icon src="small_icon.png"/>
>  <icon src="small_icon.gif"/>
>  <icon src="large_icon.jpg"/>
>  <icon src="huge_icon.jpg"/>
> </widget>
>
> So for my point of view, the UA will need to find the size of an icon by
> reading the header or even the full image, or in the case of an svg say that
> it will scale to any resolution.

This is correct.

> But then the question which icon will have precedence?

Depends on the rendering context and media type. Please see:
http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#icons
http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets/#displaying

We are working on this text at the moment, so if it's still a bit
vague let us know and we will try to clarify it.

> Also from my point of view, the first icon will be used.
> So in the example above the PNG may look better than the GIF. (example)

Again, please see the links above.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au