Re: [whatwg] WebIDL and HTML5

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> See long post with an analysis of the exact OMG IDL meaning of the
> DOMString type (which is NOT quite the same as ECMAScript string, note).

I should note that there is one thing adding to the confusion.  The use
of String in the ECMAScript language bindings for the DOM.  If one takes
this to mean the ECMAScript String built-in type, this is not consistent
with the value type semantics DOMString has.  The inconsistency can
probably be resolved in a number of ways, including modifying the
definition of DOMString, declaring that the ECMAScript binding of
DOMString is a String object (result of new String(), not a String
itself), or declaring that a DOMString can be either a String or null.
This last is probably the most backwards-compatible.

-Boris