Re: ISSUE-44 (EventsAndWindow): Should DOM3 Events cover the interaction of events and the Window object? [DOM3 Events]

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Olli Pettay wrote:
> > > Could we actually just say that if document implements DocumentView
> > > interface and .defaultView isn't null and implements EventTarget,
> > > the event propagates to .defaultView. So in that case defaultView
> > > becomes the root of the event target chain (if the target of the
> > > event is bound to document). No need to mention Window, since
> > > AbstractView is already defined in DOM2 Views[1]. HTML5 defines that
> > > AbstractView must also implement Window and EventTarget interfaces.
> > > [2]
> >
> > Fine by me, so long as the result is compatible with most UAs.
>
> One very unfortunate thing is that if i recall correctly the Window
> object never takes part in the EventTarget chain for the 'load' event.
> But does for all other events. This was because a lot of sites broke
> when we tried to bubble 'load' to the Window.

Is that any load event, or only specific load events? (i.e. is it a
characteristic of the bubbling/capture process, or the events that are
fired by certain circumstances like the end of parsing or an image being
fetched from the network?) If the latter, it would be useful if the DOM3
Events spec could provde a hook for the HTML5 spec to annotate certain
events as being affected by this exception.