Re: specification of "legacy" key events

On May 28, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:32:22 +0200, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi
> > wrote:
>
>>> * Text insertion events. The keypress and textInput events include
>>> complete information about the character the input is generating
>
>> textInput isn't DOM0 event, right? It is (or will be defined) in
>> DOM 3
>> Events.
>
> Yes, one of the questions I was trying to get at was how we should
> define relationships between the "legacy" and the DOM3 events. So my
> proposal is to define that keypress fires first and then textInput.
You would have to fire textInput after keyPress, that ordering is
required due to existing API -- you can't find out what the textInput
info will be until the event has been pushed through the Input Method
(Editor), which you can't do if the keyPress is cancelled or otherwise
had its default action prevented.  The ordering must be keyPress-
 >textInput (ignoring the cases where the IM prevents you from seeing
the keyPress event, and the cases where the IM consumes an event so
you never fire textInput..)

--Oliver