Re: Proposal to work on Geolocation

Hi, Chaals-

Charles McCathieNevile wrote (on 5/27/08 6:34 PM):

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 23:38:37 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I could not find record of any such objection in the Advisory
>> Committee mailing list archives, or any record of an official W3C
>> decision on this point. As Team contact, could you please explain who
>> made this decision and on what basis?
>
> In which case I presume that someone used their ability to reply to the
> Team privately instead of being open about what they wanted. This
> disturbs me a little since it increases the resources and coordination
> required, IMHO, to do what is a pretty simple piece of work.

I think you may be overstating how simple this is, for what it's worth.
  Exposing coordinates sounds simple, sure... but the security and
privacy implications are stickier, as is the legal landscape (both in
terms of privacy laws and of IPR).

> For the record, Opera would also like to see the geolocation work take
> place inside the webAPI group and is unhappy that it has been removed
> from the proposed charter for Web Apps.

Noted.  I will convey your sentiments to the Team.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI