Re: Proposal to work on Geolocation

Hi, Maciej-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 5/27/08 5:38 PM):

> I could not find record of any such objection in the Advisory Committee
> mailing list archives, or any record of an official W3C decision on this
> point. As Team contact, could you please explain who made this decision
> and on what basis?

There was a substantive AC Representatives review comment regarding this
deliverable, but it was a Team-only comment, and thus there's not much I
can say about it.  It's not my favorite way of operating, and I wish I
could say more, but at the same time, I have to honor Member
confidentiality.

You can see my original charter proposal here (an earlier draft that
includes the Geolocation API):
   http://www.w3.org/2007/12/WebApps-Charter/WebApp-Charter-2007-proposed
   http://www.w3.org/2007/12/WebApps-Charter/webapps-deliverables.html

I want to reiterate that W3C is *not* dropping the Geolocation API... we
merely propose to move it to a dedicated WG.  I am ambivalent about this
myself: on the one hand, I think there is considerable momentum and
interest in doing this in the WebApps WG; on the other, it's a subject
that many Members may want to join, who are not necessarily interested
in other WebApps deliverables.

There is something to be said for having a subject covered exclusively
by a dedicated WG with a manageable mailing list load, too. :)

Again, we are actively encouraging all interested parties to join this
new Geolocation WG, and we will expedite its creation as far as we can.
  Don't panic. :)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI