Re: Proposal to work on Geolocation

Hi, Olli-

Olli Pettay wrote (on 5/27/08 4:57 PM):

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>
>> Google would like to volunteer some resources to work on a specification
>> to provide a Geolocation API for the Web platform.
>
> Sounds great!

Yes, we're hoping that Google joins the dedicated Geolocation API WG
(when it forms, assuming there's no unforeseen difficulties).

> Just wondering why WebAPI WG and why not UWA[1]?

It would have been logical to work on it in WebApps, since it is a
client-side API, but it is admittedly a complicated subject (especially
in terms of the IPR), and it won't hurt to have it in a dedicated WG.
Obviously, anyone in this WG is also welcome to join the Geolocation API WG.

> How is this work, or is it, related to DCCI[2]?

Only related by subject.  There is some work on geolocation in DCCI, but
it is more generic, and currently they are working only on the ontology.
  The Geolocation API WG is intended to work specifically on a
client-side API.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI