Re: XHR LC comment: Accept header went from MUST NOT to SHOULD

On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:56:42 +0200, Laurens Holst
<lholst@students.cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> Why was this changed? Why should user agents pretend that they know what
> kind of resource the user expects by setting an Accept header that is
> unreliable? FWIW, Internet Explorer and Safari set the (reasonably
> acceptable */*), but it would be better to leave it out entirely. Also
> see:
>
> http://www.grauw.nl/blog/entry/470

It was pointed out by another Last Call comment that not setting the
Accept header causes servers to break. Given the results above I suppose
we could require that for XMLHttpRequest purposes it is at least always
set to */*. Would that work?