Re: Blobs: An alternate (complementary?) binary data proposal (Was: File IO...)

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Aaron Boodman wrote:
> Charles wrote:
> > Opera has a proposal for a specification that would revive (and
> > supersede) the file upload API that has been lingering so long as a
> > work item.

I would echo the other comments people have made regarding the security
model being the important aspect of this kind of area.

> The Gears team has also been putting together a proposal for file access
> which overlaps in some ways with Opera's, but is also orthogonal in some
> ways:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/BlobWebAPIPropsal

I do like the general approach here. I especially like the way that it
combines the Mozilla extensions with a generic mechanism that applies
across multiple APIs. I'm not sure I like the way that the bytes are made
accessible, but that's a minor detail really. (In particular, I'd like to
see plain text APIs to treat a blob according to a particular encoding.)

This seems like it would be something we may want defined in a small spec
and then used by many others (like progress events) -- one spec to define
Blob, and then the other specs to use it (like XHR and HTML5/WF2).

Do we have the resources to have someone champion this spec?