Re: [Element Traversal LC] access to element by index

* Daniel Glazman wrote:
>> Being devil's advocate for a sec, having a :scope pseudo-class or some
>> such would help here, right?
>>
>>   myFooElement.querySelector(":scope > :nth-child(3)")
>
>That would require an addition to the Selectors spec and that comes
>too late in the process of that spec. I would recommend changing
>the Selectors API on document.querySelector and
>document.querySelectorAll to allow a second argument being a node or
>null. If it's a node, then the results simulate your :scope > SELEC
>above, the scope being that node and SEL being the selector passed as
>the 1st argument. If it's null, well, it does what it does today.

It would be easier to define that, if the argument starts with a non-
white space combinator, it is prefixed with a selector that selects the
element node it is called on and only that node. That would give you

  myFooElement.querySelectorAll(">*")[3]

We could also standardize the popular .getChildrenByTagName() method,
that would give the similar

  myFooElement.getChildrenByTagName("*")[3]

Either would be preferable over

  myFooElement.querySelector(":nth-child(3)", null, myFooElement)

As your proposal would have it.