Re: [selectors-api] Why no querySelector(All) on DocumentFragments?

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> liorean wrote:
>> As a disconnected node would not be in the node tree from document,
>> can it match a query at all?
>
> That's a really good question!   It seems to match in the webkit nightly
> I just tried here, as well as in IE8.  Simple testcase:
>
> javascript:var n =
> document.createElement("div");n.appendChild(document.createElement("span"));alert(n.querySelector("span").tagName);

Yes, that is the correct behaviour.  It should indeed match any element
in the element's subtree, regardless of whether or not that element is
in a document.  I thought the spec was clear enough on that issue already.

> A naive implementation in Gecko would also match such nodes unless they
> are purposefully excluded.

There is no reason for them to be explicitly excluded, especially if
it's easier for them to be included.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/