Re: Note for DOM L3 Core SE

On Jun 6, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Travis Leithead wrote:

> While implementing some improvements to getAttribute in IE8, we
> actually checked in code that is conformant to what the spec says
> about the return value:
>
> Return Value
> DOMString
> The Attr value as a string, or the empty string if that attribute
> does not have a specified or default value
>
> Once this code was in, we immediately hit app and site compat
> problems because we always returned a string--an empty string--if
> the "attribute [did] not have a specified or default value".
>
> As it turns out in practice, all browsers actually implement this a
> slightly different way: they return the value as a string, or null
> if the attribute does not have a specified or default value. In
> other words, if there is no entry for the requested attribute in the
> NamedNodeMap, then null is returned.
>
> IE8 is being fixed to be conformant with what everyone else has
> implemented, I just thought I would pass this along to whomever is
> doing the DOM L3 Core Second Edition so that it might be recorded in
> that spec, an errata, or so that we can discuss.

Anne and I suggested an errata for this a few years back, but the DOM
folks were not receptive at the time, out of consideration for server-
side Java DOM implementations:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2005OctDec/0011.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2005OctDec/0025.html

See the thread for more discussion.

I also at the time raised another compatibility issue that I thought
should be fixed in errata:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2005OctDec/0024.html

The short version is that DOM forbids inserting nodes into a different
document than their ownerDocument, but browsers allow it (in at least
some cases).

These two issues are Safari's only failures in the official DOM Level
1 Core test suite. I believe neither of these failures can be fixed
without significantly breaking web compatibility.