Re: Dedicated Geolocation List and Channel

Hi, Maciej-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote (on 6/3/08 1:53 PM):

> At this point I am really confused about where to discuss geolocation
> APIs, and I would rather not have it bounce back and forth. Maybe we
> should just wait until the chartering process reaches its conclusion.

There's nothing to be confused about.  Regardless where the deliverable
ends up, whether in the proposed Geolocation WG, or the WebApps WG, the
*discussion list* will be the same:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-geolocation/
  public-geolocation@w3.org

I would strongly encourage folks to join and start discussions now,
rather than waiting.  A chartering period, with the review from W3C
Management and the Advisory Committee, takes at least 6 weeks, and that
doesn't include the time have preliminary discussions about it and to
write the charter.  Hixie indicated that Google did not want to wait
even 2 weeks, and I agree that keeping momentum is a high priority.
Naturally, if Apple wants to wait until the chartering period is over,
that's your prerogative, but it doesn't seem like a good use of time and
energy.

I sense that, for some reason, people are feeling territorial about this
issue, and I'm not sure why.  Can you please articulate what your
concerns about this happening in WebApps are, rather than in a dedicated WG?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI