Re: Window pointer

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Yeah. It seems that if the Document object has changed an exception is
> thrown in Internet Explorer. I guess I should change the definition.
> Basically each XMLHttpRequest object has an associated Document object.
> If the Document object changes this "pointer" becomes "null" and URI
> resolving and origin checks will fail. If anyone has suggestions on how
> to phrase that that would be welcome.

Document objects don't change; if we kept a reference to a Document then
it would always be unambiguous. I actually think that's probably the
better solution. Alternatively, we could keep a reference to both a
Document and a Window and always check that the Document is the current
Window.document.

> As for removing the Window object implying that the Document object is
> removed, this does not seem to be what Internet Explorer is doing per my
> testing:
>
>   http://tc.labs.opera.com/apis/XMLHttpRequest/open/031.htm
>
> Then again, there's no specification that I know of that defines when
> the document attribute on the Window object changes, exactly.

HTML5 does.