Re: The XMLHttpRequest Object comments

On Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 11:49:17 AM, Stewart wrote:

SB> Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

>> On Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 12:11:38 AM, Innovimax wrote:

>> IS> I agree that it seems strange to have an "XML"HttpRequest that
>> IS> does not support XML at all !!

>> I agree that an XHR with no XML support does not make sense. Which
>> means XML must be supported. On the other hand, that does not mean
>> that XML is the only content that can be transported with it.

SB> I do not agree that it does not make sense - this is a generic mechanism for
SB> accessing URIs.  Requiring simple textual data to be transmitted and
SB> received as XML would be a huge burden on embedded clients, for example.

You seem to have misread my post.

I said "XML must be supported".

I also said "that does not mean that XML is the only content that can be transported with it."

If you have simple textual data, then send it as text/plain.

SB> I don't see why HTTP is mandatory either, to be honest, although I accept
SB> that that's what most scripts will use it for.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG