Re: [XHR] Editorial and comments

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:24:14 +0200, David Håsäther <hasather@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One of the steps for the send() method[3] says:
>    | Use the stringification mechanisms of the host language on data and
> treat
>   | the result as if data is a DOMString.
>  What should happen if toString() is overridden? E.g.:
>    Number.prototype.toString = function() { return (this*2)+''; };
>   request.send(1);
>  Should '1' or '2' be sent? I tested this in Opera 9.2 and Firefox 2.
> Opera doesn't seem to post anything when the parameter is a number.
> Firefox sends '1'.

The output of the custom toString() should be used if toString is
overridden.

However, your test isn't testing the scenario you want to test because
stringification of a number literal does not use
Number.prototype.toString(). Say

request.send(new Number(1));

for example.

Opera not sending anything looks like a bug, I'll file it.

--
Hallvord R. M. Steen
Core QA JavaScript tester, Opera Software