Re: Selectors API Method Names

Hi-

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I don't have a strong objection either way, but I think the case against
> Lachy's original names (selectElement, etc) has been laid out more
> clearly than the case against cssQuery. I think selectorQuery (as
> suggested in follow-ups) would also be ok.

I think that the chief problem with cssQuery*() for me is that it is
rather confusing.  Such a name would indicate functionality related to
CSS (that is, something presentational or style-oriented), rather than
the accident of a historical relationship.  It totally fails the
criteria of being functionally descriptive, which selectElement() meets
(other merits notwithstanding); this is a point on which I think we can
build consensus and compromise (and hopefully a speedy resolution).

Similarly, with selectorQuery() (which is better), you lose the verby
"action word" of the existing naming convention (getAByB); selectorQuery
sounds more like a property than a method.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of any of the present crop of names, but in the
interest of keeping forward momentum, I least object to what we
currently have, selectElement*().

Regards-
-Doug