Re: Progress event spec

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> progress events are fired because you already have some other operation in
> progress, which will start and finish. For something like an HTTP connection
> where you take a couple of seconds to establish the connection it would be
> useful to fire a progress event with zero bytes loaded.
>
> In the case of doing this for a connection where you don't know the length, this
> will be indistinguishable from a (now presumably completed) zero-length transfer.
> But since the transfer has presumably finished, what kind of UA would actually
> fire such a pointless event? It already *must* fire the load event, which you
> can trap to note that your loading is finished.

JCD: I have already answered about the "load" event, which I believe is
disconnected (connected to the loading of the element, not to the
animation).
> So the assumption behind the above combination is that it is a justifiable hack.
> I certainly haven't seen any use case for the zero-length transfer to fire a
> progress event - if there is one, then of course this hack is not good enough.

JCD: I want to be able to start an animation on "beginning of load", and
stop it on "end of load", and just use the simple syntax of an event in
a begin/end attribute. This is easy, well-known and liked by authors,
why do you want to remove that syntax facility ?

>> The SVG working group is working on Media Access Events. Did you think
>> of reading that spec and checking if there are interactions ? Would it
>> be meaningful to merge the two ?
>>

> I might have a more interesting opinion after having *actually* read it instead
> of just thinking about it :)

JCD: Was that too English ? If so I apologize. Did you read the MAE spec
and did you find interactions and should we merge the two specs ?
Thanks
JC
--

*Jean-Claude Dufourd* - Chief Scientist, *Streamezzo*
21, av. Victor Hugo, 75016 Paris, France, Tel: +33 (0) 153632847

Streamezzo participates to 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona from 12-15
February 2007. Visit us Hall 7 - Stand 7C28.
If you wish to meet us and discover our Rich Media solutions please
don’t hesitate to contact us.