Re: Selectors API naming

On Jan 25, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Jon Ferraiolo wrote:

> Ian,
> While I agree that the W3C should change as the world changes
> within it, process changes at W3C aren't something that occur just
> because you or I have a particular opinion about what process
> changes should occur. I encourage you to read the process document,
> particularly the section about how decisions are made: http://
> www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies.html#Consensus. Maybe
> these sections can be changed in the future, but until those
> changes occur, WGs should follow W3C rules, not Ian's opinions (or
> anyone else's opinion) about what the rules should be.
I think it would be difficult to claim there was consensus in this
case, even consensus among working group members. It's not even clear
to me there was consensus among members present, since Anne is
objecting to the decision ex post facto. I agree there needs to be
some kind of resolution if no consensus emerges naturally, but if the
decision is to be by straw poll I think it would be better to do it
in public with reasons for the decision stated.

As a WG member I can read the minutes and even from those it is not
clear there was even rough consensus on the new names.