Re: Selectors API naming

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:05:13 -0500, Robert Sayre <sayrer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I saw several comments from significant implementors that
> indicated they were unhappy with getElementsListBySelector.

I saw a handful of people saying they didn't like it. Maybe I have a
different
idea of what "significant" means, but then, I could be wrong.
Unfortunately for
me, I am still chair and still have to try and keep the group moving
forward.

> I don't
> think the WG needs to provide detailed minutes, but a list of people
> present at the meeting and a coherent rationale would do the trick.

I spent the last couple of hours working over the minutes and just sent
them to
the group (and to the group we met with) for approval. You may or may not
be
happy with what you get - a volunteer who was observing the group was kind
enough to take them, and did a reasonably good job, but not all the
discussion
was captured.

Roughly speaking, the rationale was that nobody except Anne felt get was
good,
there was little support for match and strong resistance, and then we got
getElementBySelectors as the only obvious choice for the single element
method -
which everyone except Anne was happy with. In looking for a plural,
getElementListBySelector was chosen becuase it was easier to distinguish
than
getElementsBySelector - although we are interested in feedback on that
choice,
and if something else clearly gets consensus we will of course change it.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com