Re: Editorial Control (was: Selectors API naming)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, Doug Schepers wrote:

> [...]

I made exactly the point that you did -- you should have an editor who
makes decisions, but can be overriden by a working group when the
decisions are not representative of the community.

As you say, the WG here just moved from one minority opinion to another
minority opinion. So this isn't a case where Anne's decision was not
representative of the wider community.

As you say, this is a minor issue.

Given those two points, I don't see why the WG would override the editor
on this case.

(And yes, I think a benign dictator (Anne) answerable to a committee (the
WG) and representing the wider community will create far better
specifications than a committee (the WG) answerable to a dictator (TBL)
and representing the interests of only the companies involved.)

> Someone needed to settle the discussion, and those of us who attended
> the meeting did so.

What makes those of us who can afford to pay the W3C membership fee and
afford to attend the meetings more entitled to make this decision than the
rest of the community, or than the editor? Especially in cases where there
is no clear concensus either way, so that the editor is not being forced
down a path that represents the community better, but is just being forced
to take a different minority position? Especially on an issue that, as you
point out, will never be more than a minor pain?