Re: [XHR2] letting authors handle more response codes

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:07:16 +0200, Stewart Brodie
> <stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> > I don't think that introducing a new event for each (currently known!)
> > response code is a good idea.  Use the readystatechange event instead.
>
> It's not about currently known. It's about response codes for which the
> XMLHttpRequest object has special behavior. That's a limited range of
> response codes (listed in my opening post).

Are you seriously considering special casing each individual response code
as and when a case is made for it being useful for the client?

I think that to do that is just asking for ongoing trouble.  Just make it
generic: create a new event if you don't want to re-use the already
overburdened, overloaded and Byzantine readystatechange event. It'll be
easier to implement and forward compatible, so the problem'll be solved for
all time.

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer