Re: DOM3 Key events

On Wednesday 2007-08-01 14:42 -0700, Oliver Hunt wrote:
>   * The behaviour and interaction (and existence) of a keypress
> event is completely absent.  While the keypress events are (to a
> greater or lesser extent) evil, they are used extensively on many
> websites, and are supported by all major browsers, so not defining
> behaviour will leave us trapped in the awful quagmire of
> incompatibility that already exists.

keypress events are also critical for capturing system key repeating
behavior (rather than have the Web author try to guess how the system
does key repeating).  This is particularly important for events that
don't generate text (e.g., arrow keys, backspace).

See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2005JanMar/0002 for
slightly more detail (the previous time I raised this issue).

-David