Subject: Re: ElementTraversal spec draft
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:33:22 -0400

Hi, Boris-

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> If this is added, should the list be live or static? I am inclined to
>>  make this a static element list, a la the Selectors spec, since it
>> is intended to be a lightweight interface
>
> Why does that make it more lightweight?  Is that from an implementation
> standpoint, or a web-developer standpoint?
>
> For what it's worth, implementing a live list in Gecko is actually
> somewhat easier than implementing a non-live one...  There's just a
> generic class to do them.

Sure, on a established code base for a desktop browser, that makes
sense.  But on mobile devices with limited memory, maintaining a live
list is more overhead.  Also, I know of at least one SVG viewer
implementor who complained about having to create live nodelists from
scratch.

ElementTraversal started as an interface for resource-restricted
devices, and I want it to continue to work for them.

Regards-
-Doug