Re: comments on Selectors API WD

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 04:21:39 +0200, Daniel Glazman
> The one and only issue is the :root matching, and it makes perfect
> sense here to say it matches the root of the subtree because there
> is no other root element in this context ! The other option, ie match
> the root of the document, is pure non-sense... In the scope, that
> element is just not visible.

Well, there have been several suggestions as to how it could work (this
being a new one):

  * An implied descendant combinator at the start;
  * An implied child combinator at the start;
  * You select nodes from the whole Document, but
    only those part of the relevant subtree are
    returned (here :root matching the root of the
    Document does make sense);
  * You require :root at the start? Or something
    similar to that?

>> that it's simpler and safer to restrict ourselves to Document at first,
>> and extend to Element (or Node) later, rather than do the latter now
>> and find out later that it introduces issues with what the CSS WG
>> intends to do in the area.
>
> I thought your WG was more "disruptive" than that :-)
>
> More seriously, I really think this WD does not push far enough.
> The cost is little. Your WG and the CSS WG could probably solve this
> quickly.

I'm happy for the CSS WG to suggest something sensible.