Re: Comments on File Upload

Hi Robin,

On 9/22/06, Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> wrote:
> > - sec 4, I don't think "SHOULD" is appropriate there, for selecting
> > multiple files - MAY should be fine.  Plus I think it's best specified
> > in sec 3.
>
> I've moved it to section 3 as I agree that it does make more sense
> there. However I do think that the SHOULD is justified here. If the
> platform on which the UA is running has a way of selecting multiple
> files, then it definitely must do it — the single file selection of
> UAs since the introduction of input type=file has been a genuine
> pain. The only reason it is a SHOULD and not a MUST is due to
> hypothetical platforms that may not have a FS (as mentioned two
> points above). I have half a mind to forget about that and make it a
> MUST. What do you think?

Ok, I can live with SHOULD 8-)

I wasn't thinking about a lack of a file system though, but instead
was concerned about the hoops that some form factors might have to
jump through to enable the selection of multiple items (ie.g. iPod).

> > - sec 5, filesize - do we know the use cases for this?
>
> Yes, a non-negligible number of sites request that users not upload
> files bigger than X. This does not provide for server security, but
> it gives the page a chance to tell the user that a file is too big
> before it is submitted.
>
> > I don't think
> > the definition provided would be useful for much beyond scenarious
> > using some files in a file system.
>
> Well, that is the primary use case :)

Ok, good.  So perhaps we can define that a null filesize means that
the size is unknown at the time of selection?

Mark.