Re: [selectors-api] DOM Level 3 Core + Selectors API

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:30:09 -0000, <karl@w3.org> wrote:
> About http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-selectors-api-20060525/#issues
>
> We smiled at "It would be nice if extensibility was addressed by DOM
> Level 3 Core or a separate specification that all DOM specifications
> could reuse."
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/#extensions
>
> Yes indeed that would be a good thing. Because right now it makes
> difficult to make a conformant DOM Level 3 Core implementations which
> includes Selectors API.
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/introduction.html#ID-Conformance
>
>  which might be incompatible with.
>
>  [[[Objects implementing the Document interface defined in DOM Level 3
> Core must also implement the DocumentSelector interface [DOM3Core].]]]
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-selectors-api-20060525/#documentselector
>
>  Testing and analysing conformance dependencies will be a good thing.

So given that we don't want to depend too much on DOM Level 3 Core being
updated I changed it to the following based on group discussion:

    Extensions of the APIs defined in this specification
    are strongly discouraged. User Agents, Working Groups
    and other interested parties should discuss extensions
    on a relevant public forum, such as
    public-webapi@w3.org.

I think it's the best we can do.