Re: ISSUE-102: CSS selectors for namespace prefixes

On Tuesday 2006-11-14 23:25 -0800, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:34:44 -0800, Web APIs Issue Tracker
> <dean+cgi@w3.org> wrote:
> >CSS selectors for namespace prefixes are case-insensitive. Should we
> >follow that?
>
> FWIW, the current editor's draft says that user agents must pass the
> prefix argument lowercased (A-Z becomes a-z) to the lookupNamespaceURI
> method of the NSResolver object or ECMAScript function. This should solve
> this issue.
>
> (This solution has been proposed by and discussed with at least two
> members of the CSS WG.)

Instead, should selectors say that the case-sensitivity of namespace
prefixes is determined by the case-sensitivity of the language in
which they were declared?  This would mean that selectors in CSS,
where the prefixes are declared with @namespace, are
case-insensitive, but other uses of selectors might have
case-sensitive namespace prefixes.

-David