Re: ACTION-87: Selectors API

On Sat, 13 May 2006 05:49:45 +0200, liorean <liorean@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've written some commentary on the Selectors API draft on WebGraphics.
>
> <uri:http://web-graphics.com/2006/05/12/javascript-and-selectors/>

1. I'm aware how selectors work in browsers and that that's different from
how they'd work here, but there was no pushback from implementors given
that this is something authors want to use. Note also that you don't get
live collections.

2. I'm not convinced it should be a native data type in ECMAScript. It
operates on the DOM which is not native to ECMAScript either. Having an
object which implements some selector interface on which you can perform
node tests seems like an interesting idea, but is currently outside the
scope of this specification. If there is enough interest though it seems
certainly we should look into.

3. Letting StaticNodeList inherit from Array and NodeList not is not an
option. They have to be identical. Hopefully DOM Level 3 Core gets errata
to say that only some object implementing the NodeList interface is live
and not all objects implementing NodeList (well, it currently says
something even vaguer if I remember correctly) so we can drop
StaticNodeList and just define that the object is static.