Re: Indicating XHR conformance

Le Wed, 10 May 2006 22:54:05 +0300, Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com> a
écrit:

> On 2006/05/10, at 12:31 PM, Mihai Sucan wrote:
>>
>> When developers have to have their sites compatible with more and more
>> user agents (on various devices)... such features are just an added
>> layer of headaches for developers who use them.
>
> What would you recommend as an alternative?

Let the developers figure out the answer to that question when coding
their applications. They'll definitely find better solutions.

Give them freedom, not (future) common pitfalls.

Oh, and there's no recommended alternative. It's utopic IMHO to believe
there's a way to properly check for conformance, unless we do it the
XML-way or the "compilation method". What I mean, if some C/C++/whatever
code compiles it also means it will "properly" run according to the author
(given he hasn't done any logical mistake and he has no obvious bugs in
the code). The XML-way is "don't do anything until the document is
entirely and correctly parsed". Then you can ensure your code either runs
or not. This is something many people would not like, and probably that
includes me. Opera 9 already provides a way to work around the XML parsing
error, which IMHO is very useful.

All this diversity of the web is actually good, even if now there are
millions (billions) of tag-soup pages with outrageous JavaScript code and
whatever.

Your proposal for indicating XHR conformance would be awesome and perfect,
given a perfect world.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future