Re: ACTION-87: Selectors API

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> New draft:
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2006/webapi/selectors-api/draft/selectors-api.htm

Looking good.

As you note in your reply, the following paragraph:

: Both match and matchAll take a group of selectors (selectors) as defined
: in [Selectors] as first argument and an XPathNSResolver (nsresolver) as
: second. The nsresolver argument can be null when there are no prefixes
: to be expanded. As described in the [DOM3XPath] specification
: applications have to construct an object implementing the
: XPathNSResolver interface themselves. In ECMAScript bindings a special
: Function can be passed as argument instead. How namespace prefixes
: within selectors using nsresolver are resolved is defined in
: [DOM3XPath].

...is basically empty. Given that this is the only section that describes
how to handle the nsresolver argument, I think this should be addressed.

> > I don't think "In ECMAScript bindings the nsresolver argument in both
> > match and matchAll must be an optional argument." as a requirement
> > makes sense. I think it would be better to phrase it as something like
> > "In ECMAScript, if the nsresolver argument in an invocation of match()
> > or matchAll() is omitted, UAs must handle the invocation as if the
> > nsresolver argument was null." or something.
>
> I tried the "or something" part. Let me know how it turned out :-)

Seems reasonable, although there is a bit of a leap between the concept of
languages supporting method overloading and the concept of the argument
being omitted. (Also, note that technically ECMAScript doesn't support
method overloading.)

> > If you really want to not use the term NodeList, I recommend defining
> > StaticNodeList as:
> >
> >    typedef StaticNodeList NodeList;
> >
> > ...rather than duplicating the interface definition.
>
> Used your suggestion. Will remove the open issue after you checked it.

Seems fine. It was Maciej's idea originally.